Create a custom analysis workflow for use with Metagenomics research application
The metagenomics analysis workflow provides access to two preinstalled reference databases for mapping: the curated MicroSEQ™ ID database and the curated GreenGenes database. You can customize the workflow to make any of the following changes:
Upload custom reference files, then map samples to any combination of custom and preinstalled reference databases for metagenomics research.
If multiple reference databases are selected, data are first mapped against the first selected reference in the list. Next, reads that were not mapped against the first selected database are mapped against the next database that is selected in descending order, and so on, until the sample is mapped against the entire list of selected databases.
Add primer sequences that were used to prepare your samples for metagenomics analysis workflows.
Note: You can create an analysis workflow that does not contain any primer information, however, we recommend that you always add primer information to your metagenomics analysis workflow. When the primer information is missing, no trimming is performed on your reads. A warning message appears during analysis review when primer information is missing.
- In the Workflows tab, click Overview.
In the Workflows table, select the metagenomics analysis workflow that you want to copy, then click .
The analysis workflow is copied and the Edit workflow bar opens to the Research Application step. Ensure that Metagenomics is selected in the Research Application section, then review the selection in Sample Groups, then click Next.
- (Optional) If you want to upload a custom reference database in FASTA format, in the Reference step, click Upload, then browse to, select, then upload the custom reference database file.
- Select one or more reference databases in the Available References list, then click the arrow to add the reference to the Selected References list. Click Next when you have added all of the references that you want to use for the analysis.
In the Primers step, select a primer option, then click Next.
Select if no primers were used in library preparation.
Select to provide your own primers. If primer sequences are provided, the sequences are trimmed from the reads before mapping occurs in the software. For more information on the file format of the primers, see Custom primer sequences for Metagenomics analysis workflows.
Select to use proprietary primers that are included by default.
If you select Use Custom Primers, do one of the following to enter custom primer sequences:
Enter individual primer sequences directly into the Paste FASTA Sequences text box. For example: >MyFavoriteV5_forward ACTCGGTCCARACTGAGACT >MyFavoriteV5_Rev TTACCGRGGCGTATGCGG>MyFavoriteV8_FwdCCARAACTCGGTCTGSGACT >MyFavoriteV8_rRGGCGTATGCSTACCGGG
Upload a FASTA file that contains primers. For more information on the file format of the primers, see Custom primer sequences for Metagenomics analysis workflows.
- Click Select File.
- Browse to the folder containing your FASTA file, select it, and click the Choose, Open, or Save .
- Ensure that the correct filename appears in the Upload FASTA File field, then click Upload.
- Click Next.
- In the Parameters step, make any desired changes to the Metagenomics parameters, then click Next.
- Enter a name for the analysis workflow, and an (optional) description, then click Save Workflow.